vocal performances of Joplin songs
e***@gmail.com
2007-07-12 21:07:26 UTC
I'm looking for recorded vocal performances of Scott Joplin songs --
"Sarah Dear," "Ragtime Dance," "Lovin' Babe," etc. Would appreciate
any leads.

Ed Berlin
Bill Edwards
2007-07-13 22:40:43 UTC
Greeting Ed.

Still in process - I have just obtained a delightful Petrof 9'3"
Mistral grand, and have been reworking the Joplin cycle. I have
contracted with two D.C. area singers to record vocals in September
for:

Little Black Baby (F)
Please Say You Will (M)
Picture of Her Face (M)
Maple Leaf Rag (M)
When Your Hair is Like the Snow (F)
Sarah Dear (M)
Pine Apple Rag Song (?)

Still uncertain about doing Pickaninny, although for completeness I
think I may give it a try, getting some indication of current
temperature of such a piece from the singers.

Wasn't planning on recording either the arrangements or vocals for
them. Not sure either on A Real Slow Drag since that has been done
quite a bit, and I would have to hire a small ensemble.

The goal is to do a different kind of "complete" Joplin, which
balances between original scores and playing styles from that era. I
am also considering, seeing how space works out on this, interpreting
the piano rolls with dynamics, as I have done for some other "hand-
played" rolls of the era, but I will be looking at opinions on this,
and space as well, since interpretive is, well, so subjective.

I am taking this very seriously since I want to approach this material
correctly the first time around, and have been using some of your
material in print to conceptualize how to do this.

I will gladly share results when they are in an editable state, if you
are interested.

Thanks for your time and collective efforts, part of which have
motivated me in this direction over the past few years.

SYNCerely, Bill Edwards
e***@gmail.com
2007-07-14 00:12:41 UTC
Of course you should do Pickanniny, as well as Ragtime Dance (which
could be done with piano & voice). And also Snoring Sampson, Good-bye
Old Gal Good-bye, and Lovin' Babe. I got a call from BBC about this,
but I don't know that they can wait until September.

Ed Berlin
s***@gmail.com
Ed Berlin
s***@gmail.com
2007-07-18 02:11:51 UTC
I tried to post this hours ago, but it's not showing up, so . . .

You probably have Ragtime Dance and Pine Apple Rag song on Ophelia's
In New Orleans: U. S. Tour 1995.

Sue Attalla
Ed Berlin
e***@gmail.com
2007-07-19 16:25:26 UTC
Ah, of course. The Larsen recordings; those are terrific. That's why
I put the question out to the group; I expected someone would think of
a recording that had slipped my mind. Thanks.

Ed