Tulsey Town Rags
s***@gmail.com
2006-12-05 06:15:15 UTC
Two ragtime news items from Tulsa:

First, the Ragtime for Tulsa Foundation would like to encourage ragtime
composers to direct their best efforts to writing Oklahoma's centennial
rag. The winning composer will receive a $1,000 prize, and the winning
"Tulsey Town Rag" will be premiered at the Oklahoma Centennial Ragtime
Festival, October 12-13, 1907. You will find the contest rules online:

http://www.ragtime4tulsa.org/rft_comp.htm

Second, "Ragtime Bill" Rowland, one of Tulsa's home composers, has
released a CD of his original rags. (I'll count Broken Arrow as
greater Tulsey Town, Bill). Although Bill's liner notes tell the
stories behind other rags on his CD, I'll briefly mention three:

"Tickled Pink," written after the birth of his second daughter in 1975
and first place winner of the first Scott Joplin International Ragtime
Festival composition contest later that year

"Spiffy," written for his youngest daughter and honorable mention at
the 1997 Scott Joplin Festival

"Dave and Charlie's Rag," written for two frieds and another first
prize winner at the 1999 Scott Joplin Festival

Go to Bill's website for more information:

http://members.aol.com/ragtimebill/

Sue Attalla
Larisa
2007-01-27 00:56:50 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
First, the Ragtime for Tulsa Foundation would like to encourage ragtime
composers to direct their best efforts to writing Oklahoma's centennial
rag. The winning composer will receive a $1,000 prize, and the winning
"Tulsey Town Rag" will be premiered at the Oklahoma Centennial Ragtime
http://www.ragtime4tulsa.org/rft_comp.htm
Sue, do you know how good the recording has to be on the submission?
I've got a rag composed for the contest, but the only recording
equipment I have access to at present is my cheesy laptop microphone.
Do they care if it doesn't sound crystal-clear? Or should I find a
recording studio?

Larisa