Princess Rag a' la Cedar Rapids self published
i***@rivermedia.tv
2005-10-10 19:59:48 UTC
My edition of That American Rag! by Jasen and Jones lists a "Princess
Rag" as having been self published in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Dick Zimmerman has tried unsuccesfully to locate this piece for me and
I'm appealing to collectors here that might have a lead.

Any thoughts?

-Brent
Don Kirkman
2005-10-11 21:18:23 UTC
Post by i***@rivermedia.tv
My edition of That American Rag! by Jasen and Jones lists a "Princess
Rag" as having been self published in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Dick Zimmerman has tried unsuccesfully to locate this piece for me and
I'm appealing to collectors here that might have a lead.
Any thoughts?
I can't vouch for the credibility, but the 1971 Oak edition of They All
Played Ragtime says "The Princess" was among the rags Russell Smith of
Indianapolis was known for; he also wrote Microbe Rag and That Demon
Rag. TAPR says all three were published by Seidel Brothers in
Indianapolis, "Princess" in 1904. (p. 221)

OTOH this may be different from your "Princess Rag," though it's indexed
that way in the book. James Scott also did a "[The] Princess Rag" in
1911 (Stark), but everybody knows about that one..
Don Kirkman
i***@rivermedia.tv
2005-10-18 19:07:54 UTC
Don,

Thanks. I too was aware of competing Princesses (so to speak), making
this all somewhat confusing.

-brent
s***@sheetmusiccenter.com
-Brent