New Ragtime CD
William Pemberton
2006-11-15 13:08:57 UTC
The River Raisin Ragtime Revue has just released a new CD on Stomp Off
Records. "Ragtime Detroit!" features Michigan's contribution (with special
emphasis on Detroit) to ragtime. The recording has some of the great hits
of the Whitney-Warner/Remick days, lesser-known gems and even some
contemporary rags by Bill Bolcom and our music director William Hayes.
Please check out our website at www.ragtimeband.org to listen to sample
sound clips of the CD. You can also hear clips from our debut CD, "The Red
Back Book: Standard High Class Rags," and excerpts from a live performance
at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Both CDs can be purchased at the site.
Thanks, and happy listening.
William Pemberton
e***@gmail.com
2006-11-18 21:20:07 UTC
This is an *outstanding* recording (as is the earlier Red Back Book
done by River Raisin Ragtime Revue). The playing is thoroughly
professional and clean, rhythms are sharply articulated, the
arrangements - some adaptations of original scores, some original by
music director William Hayes -- are uniformly excellent. Especially
effective are the shifting orchestral colors and the contrasting
alternations between full ensemble and smaller groups. This is an
exciting recording and I look forward to R4's future releases.

Ed Berlin