Ragtime Tempo
Randy
2007-06-20 15:38:45 UTC
I have been listening to a lot of ragtime on youtube and most of it is played
very fast including competitions and festivals. I have serveral recordings and
they all play at a much slower tempo. I have to admit I really like the faster
tempos. What is the correct tempo that ragtime should be played (on average)?
Metronome markings would be very helpful.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1
Bill Edwards
2007-06-20 22:18:21 UTC
Hi Randy.

I did a study on this issue involving both tempi and pedaling a few
years ago, including analysis, existing sources, queries to other
artists, and some consensus of opinion. Even though it is a collective
point of view, it is not the ONLY point of view, so remember to seek
out others before forming your own.

In any case, I hope it helps to some extent. Examples are included as
well as some variances on acceptability and playability both from
contemporary and earlier points of view, and is context sensitive to
the type of ragtime being played for the most part.

This article is preceded by one that defines ragtime and sub/post-
genres, and a second on aspects of performance. In sequence they form
a fairly broad look at performance. As with the others, these are
collective opinions assembled by myself, but others do exist on these
topics. You can find other sites in my links to see what they say.

What is Ragtime: http://www.perfessorbill.com/ragtime1.shtml
Playing Ragtime: http://www.perfessorbill.com/ragtime2.shtml
Tempos and Pedaling: http://www.perfessorbill.com/ragtime6.shtml

FWIW:
Ragtime Composition: http://www.perfessorbill.com/ragtime12.shtml
Ragtime for 4 hands: http://www.perfessorbill.com/ragtime2a.shtml

As always, I'm available for additional questions through the site,
and to direct you to other resources as well.

Finest RAGards, Bill E.
Randy
2007-06-21 15:32:33 UTC
Post by Bill Edwards
[...]
Thank-you so much. I only briefly looked at your site. I will check it out in
more depth when I have more time. What I saw is excellent, exactly what I was
looking for.