Anybody still here...?
Dr H
2009-06-10 21:05:23 UTC
Usenet activity seems to have fallen off drastically in
the past year.

Dr H
Derek Gee
2009-06-10 22:24:15 UTC
Post by Dr H
Usenet activity seems to have fallen off drastically in
the past year.
Dr H
That's because many ISP's dropped Usenet after Andrew Cuomo went on quest to
destroy it in the name of fighting child pornography. Of course, Usenet
wasn't where all the child porn people were, but when you're trying to get
reelected...

http://techliberation.com/2008/07/21/comcast-resists-pressure-to-drop-usenet-access/

Derek
Dr H
2009-06-12 01:14:57 UTC
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Derek Gee vociferated:

}
}"Dr H" <***@efn.org> wrote in message
}news:***@rngrants.reliefnursery.local...
}>
}>
}> Usenet activity seems to have fallen off drastically in
}> the past year.
}>
}>
}> Dr H
}
}That's because many ISP's dropped Usenet after Andrew Cuomo went on quest to
}destroy it in the name of fighting child pornography. Of course, Usenet
}wasn't where all the child porn people were, but when you're trying to get
}reelected...
}
}http://techliberation.com/2008/07/21/comcast-resists-pressure-to-drop-usenet-access/
}
}Derek

Wow, I guess I haven't been paying attention. I kind of wandered off into
blog-land for a while, and when I came back a lot of newsgroups were
depopulated. I had no idea that ISPs were dropping access left and right.

Sheesh, talk about draconian measures! Isn't this like shutting down
all telephone landlines just because a handful of people sometimes make
obscene phone calls?

Dr H
John Nunes
AT&T has announced it is shutting down it's abusenet server this summer.
Dick Baker
2009-06-17 16:20:26 UTC
Post by John Nunes
Post by Dr H
}That's because many ISP's dropped Usenet after Andrew Cuomo went on
quest to }destroy it in the name of fighting child pornography. Of
course, Usenet }wasn't where all the child porn people were, but when
you're trying to get }reelected...
}
AT&T has announced it is shutting down it's abusenet server this summer.
And Comcast shut down its news server last year.
Dick Baker
(contact via http://goon.org/contact.php)
Dr H
2009-06-25 00:09:15 UTC
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, John Nunes vociferated:

}Dr H wrote:
}> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Derek Gee vociferated:
}>
}> }
}> }"Dr H" <***@efn.org> wrote:
}> }>
[...]

Hi John,

My own Usenet access has been a little flakey recently, but no talk
about shutting it off.

Might be time to look into third-party providers, though.

Dr H

AB
2009-06-11 02:04:47 UTC
I'm still here, but haven't really got much to contribute.

Andrew