Solace by Scott Joplin -- Sheet Music Incomplete
Insanely Something
2008-03-15 15:44:38 UTC
I have the Scott Joplin piano rolls that were released last year. I notice
that one of my favorite pieces, "Solace," has a movement at the beginning
that runs a couple of minutes that I have never heard before. The music for
this isn't on any of the sheets I have for Joplin -- not on individual
sheets or in the compilations books. Does anyone know why?
Bill Edwards
2008-03-16 14:19:30 UTC
Post by Insanely Something
I have the Scott Joplin piano rolls that were released last year. I notice
that one of my favorite pieces, "Solace," has a movement at the beginning
that runs a couple of minutes that I have never heard before. The music for
this isn't on any of the sheets I have for Joplin -- not on individual
sheets or in the compilations books. Does anyone know why?
Hi. I can try to help. Just to clarify, what is your source for
Solace? I ask because some of the 1970s reprints only had the third
and fourth sections in them as per the version in the Sting, and I
simply don't know if you are referring to that or the original as
printed in many of the Scott Joplin reprint books, so it is not meant
to insult your intelligence on this. Since I have to answer questions
of this sort on a weekly, sometimes daily basis, I have found that
just eliminating many factors in the beginning helps to answer the
question.

So if this roll has four distinct sections - two in C and two in F -
then you are looking at an incomplete version of the sheet music.
However, if there are more than four distinct versions of the piece
(which should be patterned A A B B A C C D D), then I would need to
hear a sound recording of what you have that could either be posted on
the web, or emailed to me directly. If the latter is the case, I and
many others I suspect would be curious as to what was done.

For comparison, you can hear a complete version of Solace on my site
at http://ragpiano.com/pbmidi15a.shtml#solace . Click on the cover
image and you'll have more information.

Hope that is helpful. Finest RAGards, Bill Edwards