horwitz, bowers
john maginnis
2007-09-16 18:02:42 UTC
it's been some years since i've been on here and it's good to see a few
familiar names. but i'm back with another request for help...
i've aquired a good body of work on charles horwitz and frederick v. bowers.
they did a lot with house of whitmark. however, i'm still lacking photos.
horwitz is my grandfather. would anyone have any suggestions?
thx. john maginnis
s***@gmail.com
2007-09-18 03:15:22 UTC
John,

I'm finding some items that should interest you if you haven't checked
old newspapers. These are articles about vaudeville shows and ads for
shows. One of the first items contains this paragraph:

"'Meet me at the Fountain' is an act by Charles Horwitz, a famous soft
shoe dancer. The setting is elaborate and the act turns out to be
entertaining, with clever cancing by Mr. Horwitz and the two young
women assisting."

Could this be the same Charles Horwitz? The remaining items almost
certainly are.
From Fort Wayne, IN, comes an article about a show called "The Dancing
Widow" and an ad for the same show. The article lists Charles Horwitz
and George Rosey as show "sponsors," and the ad reads in part, ""Book
of Lyrics by Charles Horwitz, Music by George Rosey."

1899 issue of the North Adams (MA) Transcript in a "Curtain Raisers"
column:

"J. J. Rosenthal will produce a new farce next season by Charles
Horwitz entitled 'How Wilkins Got Married.'"

1908 Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY):

"This afternoon the Bastable Theater will open its season with the new
musical comedy 'Too Many Wives,' the work of Charles Horwitz and
Frederick V. Bowers. It is patterned after a style of entertainment
now in vogue in Europ and is made up of specialties, elaborate scenic
effects, pointed humor at teh expense of various characters and an
abundance of musical numbers.

"Little Joe Morris is the principal fun maker, and his work in 'Lovers
and Lunatics' several seasons ago is still remembered by the patrons
of this house. There is a chorus with seeral spirited new dances. AS
a special feature La Molita, the famous Spanish dancer, will be seen
in the 'Dances of Salome.'"

Article too long to type out from 1908 Galveston (TX) Daily News, but
last paragraph follows:

"Charles Horwitz has written a libretto in which the situations follow
in such rapid succession that interest has no chance to lag, and
Frederick V. Bowers has composed the music in a catch vein that
readily appeals to the audience."

I can scan and send these items as .pdf if you don't have them. Also,
if this is a new type of material for you, there's more that I'd be
happy to look at over the next few days.

Sue Attalla