New Official Meeting Place and Time for Sacramento Ragtime Socliety
Colin D. MacDonald
2007-08-06 04:59:48 UTC
The Sacramento Ragtime Society has finalized the change in their monthly
meeting venue from
Sudwerks in Davis, CA to the Red Lion Hotel in Sacramento,CA.

The monthly meetings will be held a half hour earlier from 1:00 - 4:00 PM
and will be in the Yosemite Room at the
Red Lion Hotel in Sacramento. A limited menu is available and drinks will
also be available from the bar.

Check our monthly newsletter and the Society's website at
www.sacramentoragtime.com for further information and for directions to the
Red Lion as well as a layout of the hotel.

There is no charge for admission to the meetings, Ample parking is
available.

--
Colin MacDonald
www.RagtimeMusic.com
www.GreenfieldBowie.com
Larry Weil
2007-08-06 17:44:17 UTC
Post by Colin D. MacDonald
The Sacramento Ragtime Society has finalized the change in their monthly
meeting venue from
Sudwerks in Davis, CA to the Red Lion Hotel in Sacramento,CA.
I went to one of your meetings a little over a year ago when I was out
that way, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I also went to a meeting of the
Rose Leaf Club in the LA area a few months ago when I was in that area.
I wish there was something similar in this area, but I have been unable
to find anything. There is a ragtime band playing at the Great Waters
Jazz Festival http://www.greatwaters.org/ in New Hampshire on August 25,
but nothing on a regular basis that I can find.
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Colin D. MacDonald
2007-08-07 03:07:39 UTC
The West Coast Ragtime Society website lists ragtime organizations on their
site at www.westcoastragtime.com and Bill Edwards also lists societies on
his wonderful website at www.perfessorbill.com.

It is my impression that local ragtime societies start at the grass roots
level. Recent societies have been formed in Phoenix, AZ, Tucson, AZ,
Roseville, OR Portland, OR and the Bitterroot Valley Ragtime Society in
Corvallis, MT (http://bitterroot-ragtime.com/)

The Bitteroot Society was formed due to the efforts of Gina Tiernan. Tina
was active in the Sacramento and West Coast Ragtime Societies. She moved to
Montana a few years back, started the BVRS which has done quite well. As she
explains on the BVRS website: "After living in Corvallis, Montana for a few
months, Gina published an advertisement in the local newspaper seeking
interest in ragtime or vintage American music in the Bitterroot Valley.
Shortly thereafter several people called inquiring about this new group, and
the first official meeting of the BVRS was held at Gina's home in Corvallis
in August 2005."

With all those pianos in New Hampshire, there has to be some ragtimers
somewhere! Straight advertising worked for Gina. The Sacramento Ragtime
Society was started 25 years ago by folks who were associated with the
Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society. And the West Coast Ragtime Society
came about as an offshoot of the Jazz Society in Fresno, CA.
Lake Wobegone, NH
Larisa
2007-08-27 00:42:47 UTC
Incidentally, whom do I contact to add a ragtime society to your
list? I'm a member of the San Antonio Ragtime Society, which doesn't
seem to be listed on your site.

LM
Colin D. MacDonald
2007-08-27 08:22:37 UTC
We only provide a very small listing of ragtime sites on our links page. The
sites that we provide generally have excellent ragtime links and therefore
we have seen no need to duplicate that effort on our site. here. The links
that we provided can serve as your guide to ragtime on the internet.

I have added a link to the San Antonio Ragtime Society site
(http://www.sanantonioragtime.com) on the SRS links page. For some reason,
the SARS site loads very slowly with my broadband connection. Is there some
link to your site that loads faster?

To have other web sites link to the SARS site, check the various websites,
contact the webmaster, and request that they add a link to your site.