Orchestrating Ragtime Piano Pieces
Richard White
2007-07-11 23:15:48 UTC
I was wondering if I could ask for some thoughts on effective
instrumental ensembles I might use to orchestrate some of my piano rags,
perhaps between 4 and, say, 12 instruments.

Any practical ideas would be appreciated.

TIA,
Richard White
--
http://www.whitcopress.com
http://www.whitcopress.com/rwpaypalpdf.html
'A Merry Little Christmas' Elektra 62572-2
c***@att.net
2007-07-14 02:34:25 UTC
Post by Richard White
I was wondering if I could ask for some thoughts on effective
instrumental ensembles I might use to orchestrate some of my piano rags,
perhaps between 4 and, say, 12 instruments.
Any practical ideas would be appreciated.
http://www.ragtime-society.de/
This site has the following quote
"Since 1975 the RSF plays "classical" rags, songs and other musical
formats from the ragtime era. It's instrumentation is the same as
suggested in the legendary "The Red Back Book" from 1912, that is
apart from flute/piccolo cornet, clarinet, trombone, 1st and 2nd
violin, cello, bass, piano and drums."

They used to have copies of the Red Back Book in different formats but
I could not find it today. Maybe you can find a copy and see how they
orchestrated the following:
Maple Leaf Rag, Scott Joplin
The Cascades, Scott Joplin
The Easy Winners, Scott Joplin
The Ragtime Dance, Scott Joplin
The Chrysanthemum, Scott Joplin
African Pas', Maurice Kirwin
Ophelia Rag, James Scott
Hilarity Rag, James Scott
The Minstrel, Man J. Russel Robinson
Frog Legs Rag, James Scott
Sensation, Joseph Lamb
Kinklets, Arthur Marshall
Grace And Beauty, James Scott
Sunflower Slow Drag, Scott Joplin - Scott Hayden
The Entertainer, Scott Joplin

Carl
Richard White
2007-07-14 05:15:26 UTC
Post by c***@att.net
Post by Richard White
[...]
Say, Carl, that was good of you to offer this info. I'm certainly going
to look into your recommendations.

Very Appreciative,
Richard White
Richard White
2007-07-14 18:42:08 UTC
Post by c***@att.net
Post by Richard White
[...]
I looked into this. It's just what I was looking for! Thanks again!

The only problem is the files for the scores are compressed as .exe
files are not MAC compatible. Too bad they're not uncompressed PDF
files. Of course, size must be a factor here.

Anyone here with a PC willing to unzip them for me?

TIA,
Richard White