Scott Joplin: Jazz Piano / Ragtime Jazz
Max Roder
2007-03-19 18:36:30 UTC

does anybody maybe know where to get notes for the piece "Jazz Piano" by
Scott Joplin? I found some versions on various sites, either called
"Jazz Piano" or "Ragtime Jazz" and I'm wondering where to look for notes.

Anybody can help me?

Thanks!

Max Roder
Bill Edwards
2007-03-19 23:52:02 UTC
Hi Max.

Please give a link to one of these mislabeled sites (Joplin did not
write a piece by that name) and I or somebody else here will be glad
to give it a listen and determine what it actually is titled.

My intuition tells me that I'll be answering (for about the 40th time
in the past few years) that it is the opening theme to the musical
"Ragtime," since somebody put that mislabeled file out a few years
back calling it either Joplin Fragment or Unknown Joplin Piece or
Joplin Jazz or something like that, when it is actually from a
Broadway Musical.

You can do some advance work on that by finding the soundtrack for
Ragtime (the CD of the stage musical, NOT the movie with the Randy
Newman score) and listen to the sound bites there. If that still does
not fit the bill, give us a link to listen to.

Hope that is helpful. Bill Edwards
Max Roder
2007-03-20 21:27:19 UTC
Hey,
Post by Bill Edwards
Please give a link to one of these mislabeled sites (Joplin did not
write a piece by that name) and I or somebody else here will be glad
to give it a listen and determine what it actually is titled.
thanks for your offer, it can be downloaded here:

http://webmaxx.homeip.net/Ragtime-JazzPiano.mp3

Hope the speed is not too low :/
Post by Bill Edwards
My intuition tells me that I'll be answering (for about the 40th time
in the past few years) that it is the opening theme to the musical
"Ragtime," since somebody put that mislabeled file out a few years
back calling it either Joplin Fragment or Unknown Joplin Piece or
Joplin Jazz or something like that, when it is actually from a
Broadway Musical.
You can do some advance work on that by finding the soundtrack for
Ragtime (the CD of the stage musical, NOT the movie with the Randy
Newman score) and listen to the sound bites there. If that still does
not fit the bill, give us a link to listen to.
Thanks, I will look for some tracks!

Max
Bill Edwards
2007-03-21 16:40:18 UTC
Hi Max.

I can name that tune in four notes. Literally. Guess what? RAGTIME the
Musical - the main theme - "They Called It Ragtime.". I pretty much
expected that as you saw, so no surprise. Not Joplin by any stretch,
and the publication only missed his death by 81 years. The composer of
the music is actually Stephen Flaherty, and he comes closer to ragtime
than Randy Newman did in the film adaptation done in 1981.

You can find the soundtrack, well, almost anywhere. Amazon link is:
http://www.amazon.com/Ragtime-Musical-1998-Original-Broadway/dp/B0000064XS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6208834-9377623?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1174494824&sr=8-1

If you want the music, it can be found at the usual suspect music
stores and internet outlets, including Amazon at:
http://www.amazon.com/Ragtime-Vocal-Selections-Stephen-Flaherty/dp/1576239551/ref=sr_1_1/002-6208834-9377623?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174494985&sr=8-1

Hope that is helpful. Now if we can just get this "unknown" fragment
either title or off the internet altogether, and at the very least
disassociated with Joplin, that would provide clarity.

SYNCerely, Bill E.
Max Roder
2007-03-21 17:21:48 UTC
Hi Bill,

thanks a lot for your quick help! I will try to get those notes.

I think I'll put a special note on my homepage, as soon as it's ready,
to tackle those miss-labelings ;)

Regards,
Max

Bill Edwards