Charleston Rag?
Dr H
2007-10-23 19:26:47 UTC
Can anyone here point me to a source of printed music for Eubie's Blakes's
"Charleston Rag"? Every book on ragtime mentions it as an important work,
and a dozen different people seem to have recorded it, but I've not been
able to find any printed copy. Is everyone really learning it by ear?

Come to that, I've seen very little of Blake's work in print anywhere.
I have ragtime collections that feature any number of obscure composers,
and pretty much everything Joplin wrote that still exists, but Eubie
seems to have been pretty much neglected.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
(E-mail replies are OK.)

Dr H
s***@sheetmusiccenter.com
2007-10-23 21:05:25 UTC

I can help you with finding sheet music.
Send your requests to:

***@sheetmusiccenter.com

Joel
http://www.sheetmusiccenter.com
Dr H
Dr H
2007-10-24 23:55:04 UTC
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, ***@sheetmusiccenter.com flamboyantly asserted:

}Hi,
}
}I can help you with finding sheet music.
}Send your requests to:
}
}***@sheetmusiccenter.com
}
}Joel
}http://www.sheetmusiccenter.com

Thank you; I'd be very interested to see what music of Eubie's is
actually in print. I will contact you directly at the e-address
you give.

BTW, appologies for just barging into the newsgroup like this. I'm a
long time Usenet denizen, and have lurked in this group occasionally,
but I don't believe I've posted here before.

I am a composer and multi-instrumentalist myself (primarily guitar and
piano), and became fascinated with ragtime about 10 years ago, though
I dabbled in it a bit previously. Now seemed like a good time to take
the plunge. I appreciate everyone being so helpful and accomodating.

Dr H
r***@alumni.monmouth.edu
2007-10-23 21:12:23 UTC
http://www.mdhs.org/eubieblake/subs/detail.asp?cat=Sheet%20Music&id=753&mult=1
has the handwritten score by Eubie on 4 pages, with a subtitle. You
can download it as a pdf file or as individual images. That is as
original a score as you will ever get.

OR you can go to http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/ and download the
midi file of the Charleston Rag, then bring it into a program such as
MidiNotate Composer, and print it to a PDF file yourself, which will
create sheet music of the midi file for you. You can combine staves in
Composer if it is more than 2 staves, or split a piano roll single
stave score into a two stave score, with a Treble and a Bass stave, to
match the piano scores you are used to.

You can then simplify the score yourself if it is too complex for you.
The fact is that most of the printed scores of the day were simplified
from what the composer actually played, since otherwise most found the
music too hard to play themselves. Few players, even today, have the
spread that Eubie Blake had...

FWIW

RsH
Dr H
Bill Edwards
2007-10-24 20:07:52 UTC
Greetings.

The difficulty of the rag and finding it is part of the history. It
dates back, reportedly, to 1903 when Eubie was 16 (if you tend to
believe the large body of official government census, marriage,
military and death records which put his birth at 1887 instead of
Eubie himself putting it at 1883), when he says he started playing it.
It was then put to a piano roll, Sounds of Africa, around 1917 (as I
recall). But it was not officially in print until around 1973(?) when
Terry Waldo transcribed and published this plus some older and more
contemporary pieces of Blake's in Sincerely Eubie, now difficult but
not impossible to locate. Since then, that particular book has been
the source of record for at least a framework on playing Charleston
Rag, Rhapsody in Ragtime, Tricky Fingers, Baltimore Todolo, etc. I'll
ask Terry when I see him soon about the status of that book, if he
doesn't see this first and respond.

In print, as far as Eubie Rags are concerned, you'll find Fizz Water
and Chevy Chase in Dover Sources, and Dictys on Seventh Avenue in one
of Max Morath's extant ragtime books. Beyond that, most of the
available sources are of his songs for the theater, or original sheet
music you may see on eBay from time to time, like Bugle Call Rag.

Hope that explains the situation to a degree. If anybody else has
corrections or addendum for this, it may be useful.

Finest, Bill E.
Dr H
2007-10-24 23:49:58 UTC
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Bill Edwards flamboyantly asserted:

}Greetings.
}
[...]

Is this the book from the musical/review "Eubie!"? I think I've
heard of it but never seen it.

}In print, as far as Eubie Rags are concerned, you'll find Fizz Water
}and Chevy Chase in Dover Sources,

Yes, I have those.

} and Dictys on Seventh Avenue in one
}of Max Morath's extant ragtime books. Beyond that, most of the
}available sources are of his songs for the theater, or original sheet
}music you may see on eBay from time to time, like Bugle Call Rag.
}
}Hope that explains the situation to a degree. If anybody else has
}corrections or addendum for this, it may be useful.

Bill, I think I came across your website a couple of years ago when I was
doing some web research on ragtime. You seem to be highly knowledgeble
about the original ragtime period; maybe you can shed some light on
a question that's bothered my for a long time now?

Why is so little of Eubie Blake's music published? That he was a seminal
figure in the history of ragtime is acknowledged by virtually every history
of ragtime I've ever read. Practically everyone who's made commercial
recordings of ragtime piano has recorded some of his rags (and often
the 'Charleston Rag'). Add to that the fact that he lived longer than
any other ragtime pianist from the original ragtime era, and continued
performing into his 90s (whichever birthdate is correct), and it would
seem that his music should be better represented in print than just
about anyone else.

Yet such is not the case. There are dozens of collections of Joplin;
plenty of printed examples of Scott, Lamb, and even Matthews; Dover
seems to have gone out of their way to preserve a whole host of
lesser-known "country rag" composers -- but Blake seems to have gotten
short shrift.

Thanks for the help.

Dr H
RsH
2007-10-25 20:20:01 UTC
Post by Dr H
[...]
The simple answer is that Eubie wrote for Eubie's playing ability, and
what was published was almost always simplified from what Eubie
actually wrote.

Some of his music simply could not be simplified and published and
make Eubie happy with the way it was then played. He had other
sources of income, so didn't need, or particularly like, the pittance
the music houses of the day were willing to pay him for a piece of his
music, I believe.

Join the Yahoo group, Elite Syncopations, which has a number of
ragtime affectionados as well as players such as the Perfessor, James
Pitt-Payne, and so on. I suspect you will find, in the archives, a lot
of discussion on the history of various ragtime era players, including
Eubie.

FWIW

RsH
Dr H
2007-10-26 20:52:17 UTC
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, RsH wondrously revealed:

}On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:49:58 -0700, Dr H <***@efn.org> wrote:
}
}> Why is so little of Eubie Blake's music published? That he was a seminal
}> figure in the history of ragtime is acknowledged by virtually every history
}> of ragtime I've ever read. Practically everyone who's made commercial
}> recordings of ragtime piano has recorded some of his rags (and often
}> the 'Charleston Rag'). Add to that the fact that he lived longer than
}> any other ragtime pianist from the original ragtime era, and continued
}> performing into his 90s (whichever birthdate is correct), and it would
}> seem that his music should be better represented in print than just
}> about anyone else.
}>
[...]

Thanks for the pointer; I'll check it out.

Dr H
Bill Edwards
2007-10-26 23:00:13 UTC
Forgot your last question. Silver Swan was copyrighted 1971 by the
trust of Lottie Joplin, but it is unclear who is
administering or enforcing this today. Dick Zimmerman, who was
involved, is also not entirely clear when I last
spoke to him about it.

There was also a snippet of Joplin's work in a photograph of his piano
that Reginald Robinson recorded, but I'm not
sure of the disposition of that either.

Hope that clarifies further.

Bill E.
Bill Edwards
2007-10-25 20:33:27 UTC
Post by Dr H
Why is so little of Eubie Blake's music published? That he was a seminal
figure in the history of ragtime is acknowledged by virtually every history
of ragtime I've ever read. Practically everyone who's made commercial
recordings of ragtime piano has recorded some of his rags (and often
the 'Charleston Rag'). Add to that the fact that he lived longer than
any other ragtime pianist from the original ragtime era, and continued
performing into his 90s (whichever birthdate is correct), and it would
seem that his music should be better represented in print than just
about anyone else.
I am not the person to give you a definitive answer. Much of the
knowledge I have collected is through the efforts of others, which I
then place in a central repository (my brain or my website) and
perhaps 20% of what I have written about is original research. Based
on my experience I can surmise or suppose, but please take it only as
that since there may be someone here with a more coherent answer.

1. Originals: Many of Eubies ragtime pieces from the era and beyond
may have been or were written to manuscript, but either not submitted
or rejected. As with many ragtime publishers, the folks he submitted
it to may have wanted a dumbed-down version (which they essentially
got with Chevy Chase and Fizz Water). I can't say whether he was
reluctant to do so or just didn't get around to it, or just didn't
care to submit some material. Joe Lamb fought hard to keep the trio/D
section of Excelsior in Gb in spite of Stark's protestations, and
sometimes the fight is worthwhile, but sometimes... such seems the
fate of Frog Legs by James Scott which may have been subject to a key
change in trio/D [unsubstantiated].

2. Non-Rags: Many of Eubie's songs are indeed available, albeit
largely in fake books or collections of choruses any more. In some
cases, such as the incomparable Memories of You, many seek out an
instrumental version similar to one of his performances, but are
thwarted because unless someone else has transcribed one, they aren't
around. Adam Swanson dealt with this by transcribing and re-organizing
one of Eubie's performances of I'm Just Wild About Harry. But for the
most part, the songs remain songs, not instrumental transcriptions
(that I have run across, and somebody here may have better
information).

3. Later pieces: Starting as early as 1917 with the roll of Charleston/
Sounds of Africa, a number of Eubie's pieces existed as performances
only in some medium, but not on paper. Until Waldo transcribed some
rolls and performances in the early 1970s, one had to surmise for
themselves how to capture it, and even what's on paper may miss some
nuances out of necessity, although Terry's work was considerable. When
writing large spanning pieces for normal spanning hands, some
compromises must be made. That given, the vast majority of Eubie's
output was published after 1922, and is therefore still in copyright,
whereas all but one of Joplin's pieces is out of copyright, as with
James Scott. Joe Lamb is a mixed proposition, but thanks to Sue Keller
and Pat Lamb, much of his work remains in print.

So the problem becomes that of copyright royalties and dealing with
publishers/estates/etc. Again, I don't know for sure why Waldo's book,
Sincerely Eubie (not the one you mentioned based on the musical Wild
about Eubie or other such shows), is not currently in print. I can
surmise that the market is limited at this point, even though from the
inside around us rag musician types it seems paramount and enormous.

It was harder, but not impossible, for young blacks to get published
as Eubie was making his name. Luckey Roberts managed to eclipse him in
the 1910s, but Eubie more than made up for that starting with Shuffle
Along. It comes down to, in the end, what is in copyright, what was
published before coypright, what was viable to put in print and when,
and how much market there is now.

I know of five Eubie rag pieces that would be available - Chevy Chase,
Fizz Water, Bugle Call Rag, Novelty Rag, Classic Rag - but that would
hardly make for a folio.

Hope that clarifies further. Please, anybody, offer enhancements or
corrections.

Finest, Bill E.
Dr H
2007-10-26 20:51:02 UTC
On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Bill Edwards wrote:

}On Oct 24, 7:49 pm, Dr H <***@efn.org> may have carefully typed
}out:
[...]

Thanks, Bill. Much of what you say here (and below) makes sense for why
Eubie might not have been published much in the original heyday of ragtime.
I was thinking more in terms of why he wasn't published much later on.

As far as I can tell there have been at least three or four "ragtime
revivals" since the original era petered out in the 20s:

the late 40s/early 50s (the "They All Played Ragtime" era);

the late 50s/early 60s (Max Morath; the "honky tonk" piano craze)

the early 70s (when "The Sting" suddenly got "The Entertainer"
on the pop music charts)

the late 70s/early 80s (Rifkin; Bolcolm; Albright)

In fact, with so many revivals I've often wondered whether it's proper
to call them "revivals" at all -- seems like ragtime never really went
away; it just took a vacation during the big band era.

Anyway, one result of all the revivals seems to have been that a lot of
ragtime music got republished (or in some cases published for the first
time) -- the Dover books are one example. Tichenor's "Ragtime Rarities"
brought some pretty obscure composers into print. Seems like /someone/
would have tried to get more of Eubie's stuff published.

} As with many ragtime publishers, the folks he submitted
}it to may have wanted a dumbed-down version (which they essentially
}got with Chevy Chase and Fizz Water). I can't say whether he was
}reluctant to do so or just didn't get around to it, or just didn't
}care to submit some material. Joe Lamb fought hard to keep the trio/D
}section of Excelsior in Gb in spite of Stark's protestations, and
}sometimes the fight is worthwhile, but sometimes... such seems the
}fate of Frog Legs by James Scott which may have been subject to a key
}change in trio/D [unsubstantiated].

As far as rags being "dumbed down," yeah, I know that happened (and
still happens with a lot of mucic; not just rags). But a lot of the
ragtime pieces reprinted in the last few decades seem to have been
published at least partially for purposes of historical preservation,
and even though they may not be "ur-text" editions, I don't think
dumbing-down would have been employed as much as it might have been
when the music was originally composed.

(My own feeling on that is, you print what the composer wrote. If
a performer can't stretch a 12th, or whatever, then it's up to the
performer to arrange the piece in a way in which they can play it,
while hopefully retaining as much of the original character as
possible. But I digress...)

}2. Non-Rags: Many of Eubie's songs are indeed available, albeit
}largely in fake books or collections of choruses any more. In some
}cases, such as the incomparable Memories of You, many seek out an
}instrumental version similar to one of his performances, but are
}thwarted because unless someone else has transcribed one, they aren't
}around. Adam Swanson dealt with this by transcribing and re-organizing
}one of Eubie's performances of I'm Just Wild About Harry. But for the
}most part, the songs remain songs, not instrumental transcriptions
}(that I have run across, and somebody here may have better
}information).

Now that you mention it, I have seen some of the non-rag stuff.
Of course I'm more interested in the rags.

}3. Later pieces: Starting as early as 1917 with the roll of Charleston/
}Sounds of Africa, a number of Eubie's pieces existed as performances
}only in some medium, but not on paper. Until Waldo transcribed some
}rolls and performances in the early 1970s, one had to surmise for
}themselves how to capture it, and even what's on paper may miss some
}nuances out of necessity, although Terry's work was considerable. When
}writing large spanning pieces for normal spanning hands, some
}compromises must be made.

I understand that piano rolls were frequently "embellished" with
additional parts added to the basic piano performance. Transcriptions
of some of these embellished rolls would have been literally impossible
for a single player to perform in real time. But Eubie was a monster
player (I had the good fortune to see him once) and his rolls surely
wouldn't have needed such "enhancements".

That said, some things can only be played in original form by people
with certain physical equipment, sure. There are left hand parts in
Brahms that span 12ths, too. (FWIW, I have large hands; I can span
some 12ths, though not really comfortably. Most 11ths are easy though,
10ths, even with inner notes, are a breeze.)

}That given, the vast majority of Eubie's output was published after 1922, and
}is therefore still in copyright,

My information may be dated on this, but I thought that prior to 1978
copyright was in effect for 28 years, and renewable only once. Since
1978 the term is the composer's lifetime plus 70 years, but that wouldn't
have affected much of Eubie's output. Seems like pretty much anything
he wrote prior to 1950 would be out of copyright by now.

}whereas all but one of Joplin's pieces is out of copyright,

Is this still the case? I remember seeing the original "Collected
Piano Works" edition which didn't include "Searchlight Rag" and the
"Rose Leaf Rag," because accorgin to the preface they were still
under copyright and the copyright holder wouldn't give permission for
inclusion. But that copyright expired and the edition I purchased
a few years later did contain these rags. That gave me the impression
that all of Joplin was now out of copyright.

}as with James Scott. Joe Lamb is a mixed proposition, but thanks to Sue
}Keller and Pat Lamb, much of his work remains in print.
}
}So the problem becomes that of copyright royalties and dealing with
}publishers/estates/etc. Again, I don't know for sure why Waldo's book,
}Sincerely Eubie (not the one you mentioned based on the musical Wild
}about Eubie or other such shows), is not currently in print. I can
}surmise that the market is limited at this point, even though from the
}inside around us rag musician types it seems paramount and enormous.

I suppose so. I would dearly like to find a copy of Waldo's book, though.

}It was harder, but not impossible, for young blacks to get published
}as Eubie was making his name. Luckey Roberts managed to eclipse him in
}the 1910s, but Eubie more than made up for that starting with Shuffle
}Along. It comes down to, in the end, what is in copyright, what was
}published before coypright, what was viable to put in print and when,
}and how much market there is now.
}
}I know of five Eubie rag pieces that would be available - Chevy Chase,
}Fizz Water, Bugle Call Rag, Novelty Rag, Classic Rag - but that would
}hardly make for a folio.
}
}Hope that clarifies further. Please, anybody, offer enhancements or
}corrections.
}
}Finest, Bill E.

Yes, very informative, thanks.

Perhaps it's time for a Eubie Blake revival? ;-)

Dr H
Bill Edwards
2007-10-26 22:57:34 UTC
Hi again.

Copyright laws changed rather drastically and publicly in the
contentious fight which became the 1998 so-called
Disney/Bono copyright law. Disney had items expiring within a few
years, starting with Minnie's Yoo Hoo, the
Gershwin consortium was involved, and Congressman Sonny Bono sponsored
the bill. So in 1998, everything from
1923 on was grandfathered to the term of initial copyright plus 95
years, unless the initial copyright was not
renewed. This is part of why it's been hard to find updated Dover
folios with popular song, because it's not all that
much available. Also covers much of Confrey, Mayerl, etc. The
corporate copyright was extended to 150 years after
initial copyright date, and post 1978 are extended to composer's death
plus 95. So this has been the case for
nearly a decade.

For more updated information and a gaggle of details, check pdinfo.org
and start digging.

Bill E.
Dr H
2007-11-01 00:11:17 UTC
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Bill Edwards wondrously revealed:

}Hi again.
}
}Copyright laws changed rather drastically and publicly in the
}contentious fight which became the 1998 so-called
}Disney/Bono copyright law. Disney had items expiring within a few
}years, starting with Minnie's Yoo Hoo, the
}Gershwin consortium was involved, and Congressman Sonny Bono sponsored
}the bill. So in 1998, everything from
}1923 on was grandfathered to the term of initial copyright plus 95
}years, unless the initial copyright was not
}renewed. This is part of why it's been hard to find updated Dover
}folios with popular song, because it's not all that
}much available. Also covers much of Confrey, Mayerl, etc. The
}corporate copyright was extended to 150 years after
}initial copyright date, and post 1978 are extended to composer's death
}plus 95. So this has been the case for
}nearly a decade.
}

Wow. So we now have to wait for close onto two centuries for a piece
to enter the public domain? Seems just a /tad/ overdone.

}For more updated information and a gaggle of details, check pdinfo.org
}and start digging.

Thanks for the update.

Dr H

Dr H
2007-10-24 23:25:54 UTC
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, ***@alumni.monmouth.edu flamboyantly asserted:

}On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:26:47 -0700, Dr H <***@efn.org> wrote:
}
}>
}>Can anyone here point me to a source of printed music for Eubie's Blakes's
}>"Charleston Rag"? [snip...]
}
}http://www.mdhs.org/eubieblake/subs/detail.asp?cat=Sheet%20Music&id=753&mult=1
}has the handwritten score by Eubie on 4 pages, with a subtitle. You
}can download it as a pdf file or as individual images. That is as
}original a score as you will ever get.

Thank you! This is fabulous; I had no idea this collection existed.

}OR you can go to http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/ and download the
}midi file of the Charleston Rag, then bring it into a program such as
}MidiNotate Composer, and print it to a PDF file yourself, which will
}create sheet music of the midi file for you. You can combine staves in
}Composer if it is more than 2 staves, or split a piano roll single
}stave score into a two stave score, with a Treble and a Bass stave, to
}match the piano scores you are used to.

I've done this sort of thing before with mixed results. If the
midi was recorded in real time the transcriptions either tend to
be rhythmically impossible to read, or if the rhythms are quantized
grace notes and rubatos tend to get telescoped into some very strange
looking chords.

But the PDF is quite legible; I can put that into printed notation
easily enough.

}You can then simplify the score yourself if it is too complex for you.
}The fact is that most of the printed scores of the day were simplified
}from what the composer actually played, since otherwise most found the
}music too hard to play themselves. Few players, even today, have the
}spread that Eubie Blake had...

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. ;-)

Dr H