Ragtime performances within 2 hours drive of Toronto... Anyone have a list?
RsH
2006-10-15 16:48:32 UTC
Looking for a list of relatively regular events/performances around
Toronto, Ontario which feature any of:

Ragtime
Stride
Swing
Boogie Woogie

primarily on the Piano... over the course of the next year or so...

RsH
Bill Edwards
2006-10-16 13:07:35 UTC
Hi again.

If only. If only you could endure an additional 90 minutes (I usually
have an 8 hour drive, sometimes 14, just to get to these gigs). For an
additional 90 minutes I could put you in Alexandria Bay, NY (although
24 hours too late since we just wrapped up the fall fest yesterday) for
the Grand International Ragtime/Jasstime Festival started by Bob Darch
and friends in 1990. Or in Frankenmuth, MI for one of the annual jazz
fests in March or Bob Milne's ragtime festival in April (including a
Silent Movie night) at Zehnder's downtown. Bob also plays from time to
time in the Detroit area, although he is out on the west coast for most
of the rest of the year, and down in Florida early next year.

I hear they may play a little in Buffalo from time to time - when they
can find it, that is. A GPS and a snow cat, and you'll be fine.

John Arpin does syncopated stuff in town from time to time, so watch
the entertainment news.

I'm not up there, but I have a CD being released in your area this
weekend to go along with a book on Muskoka around WWI - The Summer
Before the Storm. It will include a recently discovered Joe Lamb piece
- The Muskoka Rag - which was actually handed to me by Pat Conn this
last weekend. Not the same as being there performances, but something.

So extending to 3.5 hours - 3 if you press it a little - will give you
lots more variety to choose from since it includes a couple of fine
festivals.

Hope that is useful. SYNCerely, Bill E.
Colin D. MacDonald
2006-10-16 22:40:49 UTC
Below are some links to the websites for performers that perform in Canada.
The sites have schedules.

John Arpin: http://www.johnarpin.com/

Mimi Blais: http://www.mimiblais.com/

Bob Milne: http://www.bobmilne.com/default.asp
RsH
2006-10-17 15:06:49 UTC
Just heard Bob Milne last weekend, while Bill and Mimi and others were
at the other end of Lake Ontario, and will hear Mimi this weekend in
Dundas, Ontario. John we've heard before and he is not one we care to
hear again... [personal choices, of course.]

Thanks for the info, and we are already on Bob's email list for when
he is in the area, and watch Mimi's schedule.

Oh well... will let the group know if I hear of anything/anyone else
palying ragtime [well] in this neck of the woods.

Perfessor... thanks. We are well aware of the eastern end of Lake
Ontario [and the driving time], but that was beyond our budget this
year. We may try for next year, if finances permit.

I set the two hours as that would mean 4 hours of driving in one day,
there and back, with the performance in between. We know we cannot
stand 6-7 hours of driving in a day, and prefer our own beds to most
motels, so try not to stay overnight IF it is not worth our while.

Regards, and keep on ragging...

RsH