Joplin's Steinway
Gee
2007-12-05 22:39:04 UTC
hello...
I was re-reading the Ed Berlin Scott Joplin book again for the
umpteenth time and noticed in the back that Joplin's Steinway grand
was still in existence but he wasn't allowed to look at it or get a
photograph or say who owned it. Why is that? Does someone famous own
it?...or maybe don't want the attention, or did the book's deadline
get in the way.... just curious.
anyone know the details of the piano???
thanks!
e***@gmail.com
2007-12-07 18:54:20 UTC
I spent several weeks on that frustrating search. My notes on it are
not handy, but here's what I recall. The piano was supposedly in the
Bronx, and in poor repair. I was given the names of several people
who reportedly had seen the piano, but succeeded in contacting only
Sylvia Olden Lee, who told of playing the piano daily in the early
1940s when it was in the home of Sam Patterson. I believe I reported
what Lee had told me.

When Patterson died, the piano went to the people who cared for him in
his declining months. They, reportedly, did not want any visitors.
John Hasse was very interested in getting the piano for the
Smithsonian, but we were unable to find any of the individuals who
supposedly knew of its location.

Ed Berlin
thanks!
Bill Edwards
2007-12-07 20:58:07 UTC
I'm not sure where this would lead, but is a method that occasionally
sees success. If there is any record of the serial number for this
Steinway, there is a small chance that either Steinway or some obscure
database or even some piano tech in New York might be able to find a
sighting, or at least be on the lookout. Also, model (B, M, L, etc.)
would be good information. That combination posted on a group like PTG
or Piano World or the like might eventually yield what is being sought
out. I know that when I spent 15 years as a piano tech I did keep
records which included serial numbers, as I worked on many very old
uprights dating back to the birdcage type actions in the 1880s, and
wanted to be able to have that information on hand if I needed
replacement parts, dating information, or perhaps another piano to
cannibalize. I know others have done the same.

Name
Rank (size/model)
Serial Number

Painless if it doesn't work, but better if it does.

Also, does not Steinway have some record of ownership as they had
warranties even back in the early 1900s? Or perhaps Joplin bought it
second-hand? I don't have Ed's text in front of me so I'm not sure if
that is noted.

Bill Edwards - I like Steinways but I could better afford a Petrof!
e***@gmail.com
2007-12-11 03:51:00 UTC
One of the individuals who had told me about the piano -- a prominent
person in the ragtime world whose word I trust -- told me that he had
checked the serial number & found the piano was old enough to have
been Joplin's and Joplin was not the original owner. This person was
no longer able to find the serial number when I spoke to him. . . .
Frustration.

Ed