Information on Lloyd Kidwell
m***@gmail.com
2007-10-04 04:35:47 UTC
I am looking for information on a ragtime era composer named Lloyd
Kidwell. I am his great, great grandson and there is no one left in
my family who has any information about him. I recently came across a
large cache of his music. I have original handwritten sheet music, 78
speed albums, record contracts for the various songs written by Lloyd
and several large scrapbooks with fliers and programs from the various
venues played during his time.

I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction on
where to begin my research. I am curious to know the value, if any
other than it's personal value as a family heirloom, of this
collection. Additionally, I would like to know where he fit into the
ragtime genre. I have read a little about some of the other bands and
composers and I would like to know if he was a major or minor figure
in the ragtime culture.
RsH
2007-10-04 13:31:07 UTC
group that contains great expertise on ragtime from around the world.

2. If you join and post this same message, you likely will get replies
from some of today's professional ragtime players, such as Bill
Edwards, as well as ragtime historians, which again includes Bill
Edwards, but also has others located around the world as members. We
have historians of ragtime from Italy, Finland, Australia, New
Zealand, England, Canada and the U.S. just to name a few nations.

3. Indiana University has a cover of one of the rags he 'contributed
to' called Hustling Rag, copyright 1913
Another piece that is mentioned, from the same year, is Strike up an
Irish Strain - Lloyd Kidwell - Haven Gillesdle - Associated Music Pub.
Co. - 1913

4. http://bluesrolls.com/Rags_K-Z.html is selling...

137331 S'More Jazz played by the composer Lloyd Kidwell $12
(originally issued on Vocalstyle 50186)

Lloyd Kidwell : Another roll company oddity, this tune is a
novelty-tinged rag which appears to have been written and performed
only on this roll made for Vocalstyle and released in March 1920.
Kidwell made a number of rolls for Vocalstyle, and probably took the
opportunity to run this one off while working there. It's a lively
tune and quite scarce as an original roll. This has only been recut
once before, by Golden Age back in the early 1970's.

so this gives you a bit of information on him.

5. http://www.ragtimepiano.ca/rags/food.htm has mention of Red Onion
Rag, [1911] which is found at:
http://digital.library.msstate.edu/cdm-SheetMusic/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/SheetMusic&CISOPTR=3353&CISOBOX=1&REC=15
and again shows two composer names, one of which is Lloyd Kidwell.

6. Original hand written sheet music by him will be of great interest
to the Elite Syncopations members... That is a certainty...

Good luck...

RsH
in the ragtime culture.
David Beattie
2007-10-11 12:00:35 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I am looking for information on a ragtime era composer named Lloyd
Kidwell.
Michael Mathew's ragtime compendium,
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~mathewm/
contains Hustings Rag, Powder Rag, and Red Onion Rag by Kidwell and
Roy Steventon, and Tickle 'em, by Kidwell. Details (dates, publishers,
etc) are in the Compendium. The Compendium also lists two other rags
by Steventon; this may be a useful lead

David Beattie
s***@sheetmusiccenter.com
2007-10-13 17:19:44 UTC

Here's an original manuscript you might be interested in at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-SHEET-MUSIC-BY-LLOYD-KIDWELL-RAG-TIME-BAND-ERA_W0QQitemZ140167985393QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1456QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best,
Joel
http://www.sheetmusiccenter.com